8/4/09

Nighttime Feeding Movie Review

I learned early on--in the hospital, in fact--that it's perfectly acceptable to do something else while feeding your baby. Since your activities are limited during this time, that pretty much leaves t.v. and reading. I have chosen to watch t.v. since my hands are too occupied to read while I'm feeding Anna Lee. So every night before we go to bed, we make sure the remote is where I can find it so I can stay awake while I attend to my maternal duties. I have discovered the wonderful world of Comcast On-Demand Movies for feeding time. Last night, I watched RoadHouse. Now, the only reason I chose that movie is because my brother Spence said it was a cool movie. Personally, I thought it was crap and I'll tell you why.

First, the movie is supposed to take place in Jasper, MO. I've been to Jasper. I don't recall seeing mountains or land that looks like desert. Also, Jasper is no more "outside Kansas City" than St. Louis is "outside" Chicago. I also don't remember Jasper being that big or under seige by a rich douchebag.

Second, we're supposed to believe that there are legendary bouncers that travel the countryside cleaning up troubled bars like professional hired gunmen of the old west. C'MON! Are you serious?

Third, who carries their educational credentials around in their personal medical file? That was just a really weak way for the writers to point out that the bouncer of all bouncers had a brain and for the pretty doctor who apparently likes to "slum it" with bouncers to find out about it. I guess it was supposed to make it not so bad that she hooked up with a bouncer because he had a degree in philosphy from NYU?

Fourth, the rednecks in this town were so fake. If any of the writers, producers, film people, etc had actually been to Missouri, they might have found out what a real redneck looks like and acts like it would have at least made that part of the movie a little more realistic.

Fifth, did Sam Elliot ever NOT have gray hair? Don't get me wrong; I like Sam Elliot as an actor and his voice is amazing but he has gray hair in every movie I've ever seen him in.

Sixth, Kathleen Wilhoite (played Carrie the waitress/singer) is a HORRIBLE actress. She always looks like she just came out of a seizure and acts like she's...well...how do I say this nicely? She acts like she's mentally retarded. In short, I can't stand her. Thank goodness her character wasn't a very prominent one. Someone must have owed her a favor or something and had to give her a part in this movie. Giving her a part in any movie and/or t.v. show is a mistake. She just sucks.

Seventh, the ending where the town businessmen get together, kill the town bully and "see nothing" is eerily familiar to the t.v. movie (also released the same year as Road House) "In Broad Daylight" which was based on an actual event in Skidmore, MO*

Eighth, the explosions were so unrealistic in that no one was killed when they were in such close proximity. Also, very few rural town fire departments have ladder trucks. There's very little need for them when almost all of the buildings are no higher than two stories. A standard fire department 24' or 36' ladder will suffice for these areas. I also did not see any hydrants. Any town that has running water and indoor plumbing has a fire hydrant. Duh.


This movie was HORRIBLE! I'm logging onto rifftrax.com so I can get the riffs for this one. It's so bad that only the guys who brought us Mystery Science Theater 3000 could make it better. Spence said it was cool and my husband said it was cool. It must be a guy thing. I'm not opposed to watching guy flix, some of them are actually good. But this one sucked bad.



*Skidmore, MO in 1981 was the scene of true vigilante justice or murder--depending on your opinion--when townspeople, tired of being terrorized by the same man for years, killed him in the middle of the town in the middle of the day. No one in the town admitted to seeing anything. Harry MacLean wrote the book that was later made into a tv movie..

2 comments:

L S. "Spencer" Olsen said...

OK first of all, when I said it was cool... I said it was cool because it was so bad. The movie is cool because it is so blatantly ridiculous.
Everything you said, plus:
Bouncer is haunted by "throat ripping" murder that landed him NO CHARGES by authorities. Bonus because he is afraid he will do it again.

Dirt streets

Businessman douchebag is an avid hunter, however in his attempts to kill our hero, he fails to notice that he has 2 pieces of equipment that will ensure Swayze's death:
1. Rifle with scope
2. SWAYZE IS LIVING 200 YARDS AWAY, ACROSS THE POND IN THE TOP OF A BARN AND LIKES TO SIT NUDE ON THE ROOF AND STARE OUT THE WINDOW AT WILD POOL PARTIES!!!

Robert Loggia look-alike and doppleganger Ben Gazzara

Why it didn't suck : Jeff Healey

TheFirehouse said...

Thanks, Spence. There were so many aspects of idiocy in this movie that I couldn't remember them all. It still sucked even with Jeff Healey.