7/16/09
Lost and Not Yet Found
I can no longer multitask. I don't know what happened; maybe it got lost with my waistline as a result of my pregnancy. I don't know why; I just can't do it. I used to be able to multitask really well. Thanks to a brief 6 1/2 year career as a public safety dispatcher, I perfected my multitasking skills. It takes a lot to be able to listen to radio traffic with one ear, your partner yelling information at you and listening to a complaintant on the phone with the other ear all while running warrants checks on eight different aliases. The first time I remember multitasking was when my youngest brother was born. I was eleven that summer and had already had quite a bit of experience babysitting. I was pretty good at holding Bo while I did other things like fix a bottle or looking for a clean burp cloth. In subsequent years, I never thought twice about holding someone else's baby while I ate or flipped through a magazine. But now that I'm a mom, I have realized that I can't multitask. I can't hold Anna Lee while I fix her bottle, I can't even bathe her without Bryan's help. Bryan, on the other hand, is GREAT at multitasking. He holds her while he fixes her bottle, plays with his laptop while she sleeps on his chest, and while he eats. In the middle of the night, I push her bassinet out to the living room, change her diaper and leave her in her bed while I fix her bottle. The only thing I can do while I feed her is watch TV and that's only if I've turned it on and selected a channel BEFORE I start feeding her. It's pathetic. I have no idea where my multitasking skills have gone. If I find my waistline again, I might find my multitasking skills but I'm not holding my breath.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You have to allow yourself to adjust, it will come back. We need more pictures of Anna Lee.
Post a Comment