9/7/08

The Transplantation is Complete

Bryan participated in his first TOTALLY AUTHENTIC luau Saturday evening. He witnessed the unearthing of the pig, ate chop suey, and sipped tropical fruit drink. Now that he has been part of an event unique to our area, I believe he has been successfully transplanted into the diverse culture that this area holds. But wait, you say, luaus are everywhere. Yes, that's true. But our luaus are truly unique. Not only are they the only luaus where you will find polongi-made potato salad next to the chop suey, you will also observe Mexican dancing as part of the entertainment. So, I challenge anyone to find that in any of the other luaus throughout the world. I also had a "first" at this luau. I danced a Samoan dance. I am ethnic-ly challenged and completely without rhythm, but I had a lot of fun and thought I did pretty well considering my paleness. Our ward's activity committee is fabulous and our committee chairperson worked her way through BYU-Hawaii by working at the Polynesian Cultural Center. Lavon Tonga is very talented at putting these things together and showcasing the talents of all of the cultures that our ward has. So...TALOFA, ALOHA, AND MAHOLO!

**for those of you who don't know: "polongi" is the word for white person--like "gringo" in spanish.

No comments: