7/2/08

Witless Protection or Right to Bear Arms?

So, I was up early this morning in order to officially begin my unemployment by contacting my local state unemployment office and I couldn't stop myself from watching Good Morning, America. For those of you who may be wondering, yes, I did file my claim with Missouri Career Center. But I digress and will enlighten you with my newfound knowledge and/or disgust. Texas is known for dealing swift justice to its criminals. This week, a Texas grand jury said "no" to charging a 61 year old man with double murder. How? you ask. Well, I'll tell you. It seems that a law was passed late last year in Texas that basically allows an individual to not just defend his own home but his neighbor's home as well. So that's just what Joe Horn did. The 61 year old retiree was home during the day when he looked out his upstairs window and saw two individuals breaking into his neighbor's home. He called 911 and got his shotgun. Joe told the dispatcher that he had a shotgun and that he was going to get the burglars. The dispatcher told Joe 13 times (in that particular segment of the tape) to stay inside his home. Long story short, Joe went outside and shot both burglars dead. Joe said he was rushed by the two men, he fired without aiming and did not even think he hit anyone. Autopsy results show the gunshot wounds consistent with being shot in the back. Interesting, you say? Quite. Mr. Horn was interviewed on Good Morning America. The story gets better and this is what I have a problem with. First, he says he went outside his home to get information for the dispatcher. Um, ok. Even if the dispatcher said, "can you see a car or what can you see?" it did not mean for him to go outside. The dispatcher told him multiple times to not go outside. Each time the dispatcher said don't go outside, Mr. Horn sounded more and more impatient stating that he wasn't going to let the burglars get away and that he was going to shoot them. Second, he denies shooting the individuals in the back because they "rushed" him. Ok. Now, those of us remotely familiar with firearms know that shotguns cause what is known as the "scatter effect" because of the type of ammunition i.e. buckshot. I have seen crime scene photos of the aftermath of a shotgun blast and basically, the wounds are everywhere as opposed to those from a handgun which are a single entry an possibly and exit point. But, I think it's still pretty clear whether someone was shot head on, the side or the back. The third problem I have with this is Joe's demeanor during the interview. He was completely without emotion, but yet he said he was sorry and that he had been traumatized. His answers couldn't have been more monotoned if he was reading from a cue card. He said that what the interviewer called "impatience" was fear that his home was going to be invaded, too. I'm all for defending your property, and if you're asked by your neighbor to be responsible for his property, I'm all for defending that too. But this moron decided he was going to play Marshal Dillon and kill himself a couple of criminals. Illegal aliens, no less. (Which makes me surprised that some pro-immigrant group isn't leading a lynch mob over this one). He called 911 because he saw his neighbor's home being broken into. He grabbed his shotgun to defend his own home. Ok, so far, so good. But he was told repeatedly by the dispatcher to stay in his home and he repeatedly told the dispatcher that he wasn't going to let those guys get away. So my question is this: even if you were afraid your home was next, what was wrong with staying on the phone with 911, locking your door, holding on to your shotgun to defend yourself, AND STAYING IN YOUR DAMN HOUSE AND WAITING FOR THE POLICE?!?! Absolutely nothing. Personally, I would like to hear the entire 911 tape. But I doubt it would change my opinion. I still would see this as a clear cut case of vigilance rather than a case of self defense of life and property. This guy should have been indicted for manslaughter but a new Texas law says he was acting legally in defense of his neighbor's property. If it was his home being burglarized and he killed the intruders then he would be defending his home. But he intentionally exited his home with a firearm to "get those guys" burglarizing his neighbor's home. Give me a break!! To watch the 10 minute interview go to abcnews.go.com and click on GMA (because I'm still trying to figure out how to put videos on this thing. )

No comments: