1/14/10

Can You Repeat That Please?

You know, sometimes I think I watch the news more than I should. I kind of blame my grandma for that one. She watched the news a lot and I've noticed that in my older years I tend to watch more news than anything else. Either she's haunting my television or I just picked that habit up while I was living with her years ago. So this morning, I turned the news on so I would know how to bundle up my ladybug for our trip to the pediatrician. Naturally, the story dominating the news right now is the earthquake in Haiti. Because people are basically good, there has been an outpouring of aid to this nation in need. But then an already horrific story was made even worse with Bill Clinton's mug on the screen soliciting aid. Cop-a-Feel Bill just happens to be an Obama appointed envoy or liaison or something between the U.S. and Haiti. (Sounds made up to me so that Hillary can keep a leash on that leche, but I digress). Bill said that if people want to help the Haitians, they should just send money so they can buy food, medical supplies and clothing. My ears tend to ache when people on tv ask for money and I really thought this was a ridiculous thing to ask for. Yes, people need to feed, clothe and "doctor" themselves. But I really doubt that money is the best thing to send quake victims. Are they supposed to head on down to the WalMart for supplies? I think not. This is a third world country here, people. Wouldn't it make more sense just to send supplies and cut out the middle man? It just seemed odd to me that an "official" would say just send money directly to Haiti rather than promote donating to organizations that will be bringing these supplies to the quake victims. Personally, I would rather donate my money to the American Red Cross so they can purchase much needed supplies. I already know that my regular church donations are being used to help disaster victims around the world. I just thought it was silly to ask for money instead of supplies. It's not like a quake victim is going to be handed a $50 bill so he can head to the local Walgreens for some Neosporin. I may just be spit-ballin' here, but I don't think that Haiti really has a strong retail market that provides that kind of convenience to its residents. In fact, I feel pretty confident speculating that WalMart, Walgreens, Target, etc don't exist in that area and that someone who has lost their home and half their family would probably appreciate a box of food and some clean clothes more than being handed a $50 bill. But that's just me. The LDS church is already engaged in the aid effort and I know that our tithes are aiding that effort of bringing food, clothing and medical supplies to those in need. So no, Bill, I will not be texting the 5 digit number on my cell phone to donate money. I have no idea where that money will actually be going or who it will go to. I know that when I write out my check to my church that it goes directly to the church to help those in need throughout the world. We will continue to pray for the victims, families and aid workers as well giving our tithes to the church to help others.

No comments: