9/4/09

CHiPs: Craptactular Highway Patrol Show

So, the other night I'm on the computer trawling for entertainment while my other half watches wrestling in the living room when I came across a full season of CHiPs on fancast.com. As I waded through episode after episode of mind-numbing cheesiness, I remembered how I thought the show was so cool when I was a kid. (I also remembered how I was one of the only people I knew that thought Ponch was a dweeb). But anyway, the show did play a role in shaping our image of certain things. So here's my list of:

10 Things We Learned From Watching CHiPs
(That Craptacular HIghway Patrol Show)

1. any car that crashes--regardless of speed--can and will blow up

2. California drivers are a-holes.

3. normal freeway speed on an UNCROWDED California freeway is SLOW

4. Ponch and John apparently only work Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm. Thus, being a highway patrol officer does not involve working nights, weekends or holidays.

5. when you pull a bloodied victim from a smashed vehicle, you will NOT get blood on you

6. every problem in your personal life can be solved by going to a disco

7. it's ok to spend your shift chasing chicks so you have something (or someone) to do when you get off work

8. the LAPD is apparently too busy to investigate their own crimes i.e. bank robberies, extortion rings targeting rich neighborhoods, thieves stealing cars from apartment parking garages, etc.

9. there's no need to draw your weapon because criminals automatically cooperate when you say "put your hands on top of your head"

10. criminals who commit heinous felonies are just misunderstood and are saved by a good word to the judge by the arresting officer.

Now it's your turn: what did you learn from watching CHiPs?

4 comments:

Me (aka Danielle) said...

That show was a bit before my time! But from what I have seen of it..your list pretty much covers it all! CLASSIC! Loved this post!

TheFirehouse said...

Yeah, well Emergency! was a bit before my time too, but I remember watching reruns of it when I was around 5 years old. Somewhere along the way, I acquired an Emergency! lunchbox. But I have no idea what happened to it and it would be worth some money today.

Andrea Olsen said...

I never watched it, but I do know that a disco really does solve everything!! :) haha.

L S. "Spencer" Olsen said...

* No car accident is complete with out flipping cars and (as you mentioned) explosions.
* There is only one highway in L.A. and it is only about a mile long.
* Everyone walks away from a motorcycle accident.
* 270 cars can be involved in a wicked pile-up and everyone will walk away with minor lacerations or non-life threatening injuries.
* In each accident, one woman will inevitably be unable to unbuckle her seatbelt (most likely because she is tugging at the strap and not trying to operate the buckle) and this scenario will result in a close call before the vehicle explodes.