6/22/08

Get Smart: proof that movie critics only like crap

This past Friday, Bryan had the day off and we decided to go to an early movie. Not wanting our childhood to die like Spence's, we decided NOT to see the latest Lucas/Spielberg crapfest and decided instead on Get Smart. I read a review earlier that morning that talked about how unfunny and unappealing Get Smart was and how no one should go and see it. I'm ashamed to admit that I almost let a FACELESS movie critic make my entertainment choices.

Having never really watched the tv series Get Smart, I am not able to make any comparisons between the series and the movie. I will say this: Steve Carell's voice is a lot less whiny and and annoying than Don Adams who originally played Maxwell Smart. It was funny and full of physical comedy vs the crude bathroom humor that some of this summer's moviegoers will be forced to endure. The critics also said that the movie had a weak plot. Um, wasn't the plot of the tv show weak, too? (Yes, I realize I just said I'd never seen the show and yet seem to know all about it). Also, "weak" compared to what? Are the critics comparing Max Smart to Jason Bourne? As if anything can compare to Jason Bourne. Bond fan that I am, I think Jason Bourne could totally kick James Bond's butt. But I digress. Smart and Agent 99 somehow become the only CONTROL agents without compromised identities and must save the U.S. from a terrorist plot masterminded by CHAOS. (I'm pretty sure that was the premise of the tv series).


We liked it and will probably get it when it is released on DVD. It was rated PG-13. We think it was because of the explosions and gun play. But all in all, it was an amusing little flick.


Update: Get Smart raked in more money than any other movie that opened this weekend. So yeah, critics only like crap.

No comments: